Saturday, April 14, 2012

Today I woke up with a BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, pounding in my head. I quickly realized that it was Blake playing on his drums at 7:45 am and even though my head was coincidentally pounding I couldn't help but smile at how cute he was singing and pounding on those drums. Oh my lil Blakey... he's my boy, my one and only. When I found out three and half years ago that would be having a boy, I never imagined how truly different and difficult it would be. His energy surpasses what his father, his sisters and I have combined! We hang on every new word he says and it's always a special moment in our family when he learns a new phrase, when coming from his little voice is always the cutest thing you've ever heard.

When Blake was about 1 1/2 I started to suspect that maybe something was wrong. He wasn't talking very much, never had addressed me by "momma" or Emett by "dadda" except for maybe once or twice. He had so much energy and I was sure that wasn't normal. He never really played with his toys unless it was to line up his cars all in a row and then watch the wheels go back and forth. So I decided finally after he turned 2 to bring this up to his Dr. They referred us to a local agency that evaluates children for Autism. They did their evaluation and although his father and I were pretty optimistic that they would say "he's fine", they instead said "he probably has autism". Although we weren't shocked, it was hard to hear.We were told that he is right on track in many areas but his language and social interaction is what was lacking. They told us that he wouldn't be actually diagnosed with anything until just before his third birthday but he could start getting services to help him right away! I was very thankful for that opportunity. He started going to "school" 2 days a week and has improved immensely with his language and although some behaviors have gotten worse like hitting, throwing etc. I'm so glad that we started early. About a week ago Blake was officially diagnosed with "Autism" and "Intellectual Delay". I feel like this is going to be a long road but I will do whatever it takes for him to have the closest to "normal" life he can have. The Dr. said "you can wipe away this diagnoses if you get him the right help" and that's what we intend to do.

More on that subject later. Here are some of my favorite pictures of Blake aka Blakey aka King Blake


(Blake wishing he could have just one more arm)

(Blake and Brobee about as close as he would get)

(At one of his classes)

(Christmas)

(Drums)

(Big Boy Bed!)



(Blake Loves his trains)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tambra! Love your blog. Just a word of encouragement: Sabrina was diagnosed as bi-polar with defiant/anxiety disorder and possible hyperactivity at 2.5 years of age and we worked on helping her as soon as possible, and she is a great and well adjusted college student. I knew when she was an infant that she was different in that she did not want or seek physical contact (I would try to hug her and she would scream and push me away), she would never sleep more than 2 hours at a time, and she never crawled (sat up at 6 months and pulled herself up to walk holding on to furniture, and was running at 9 months). She was in the "on" position for about 20 hours a day for the first four years of her life. We went to family counseling, child psychiatrists and more counseling...and her regular pediatrician.

    It was a family affair. Her behavior affected us all and it was hell some days. I would get maybe 3 hours sleep some nights. By the time she was 3.5 years old her mood swings were so severe that I was afraid for her. She had night terrors and woke up screaming about dead people coming to get her or that a bad man killed our dog in her dreams. She would become so hyper and/or over stimulated that she would literally start to shake and hit whatever was near her. I remember one Saturday afternoon holding her in my arms for over two hours while she screamed that she was scared of "the monster inside me". I felt so bad for her!

    The pediatrician suggested that we try putting her on meds. I was very against meds for my 4 year old! I didn't want to be "one of those parents" who just gives their kids meds instead of dealing with their child. Well I eventually hit the end of my rope and decided to see if the smallest dose of meds (prozac) would help. I felt like a failure when I gave her the meds. What kind of a mother was I that I couldn't fix her without resorting to drugs??

    After the first week we saw a dramatic reduction in the severity and duration of her mood swings. She was more calm and able to listen to us and the counselors and it allowed her to learn how to deal with her moods, anxiety, and rages in a positive way (and less beatings on big sister!)

    Anyway, I just wanted to share a bit of my story about having a special child. I know that your situation is different, but just know that with some work, love, tons of patience, and the whole family involved, Blakey has a great life ahead of him! I am so greatful that we did all the work we did for Sabrina when we did. She will always have that part of her the rest of her life, but it isn't as bad as it would have been had we not done anything...

    Keep blogging and hang in there! You have a great support system and know that you are not alone:) <3 M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing with me Melissa! It's really ruff to see your child struggle although I'm pretty sure Blake is oblivious to that fact that he's different in anyway and it's hard on the parents. I feel like I can't take him anywhere because he wont stand still or he'll just get into or break something and I honestly worry about him getting hurt because he never watches where he's going. So I struggle with going place, especially public places and its hard for us. I just want him to be normal so bad and although I know I probably shouldn't say that its the truth. However, I've accepted that this is the way it is and I'm really trying to make the best out of it. Thanks again Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete